Q. What is the difference between Crusader Work and Federal Work Study?

A. Federal Work Study is part-time employment program for traditional students who have demonstrated financial need according to eligibility criteria set forth by the federal government. Students are limited to earning the dollar amount shown on their award letter.

In order to be considered for a work-study award, students must complete the FAFSA each year, demonstrate financial need, and maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Crusader Work is an institutional student employment program sponsored by various academic and administrative departments. Crusader Work does not require a student to demonstrate financial need or to complete the financial aid process.

Q. Who can be employed?

A. In order to be eligible for employment through the Crusader Work Program during the fall and spring terms, students must be traditionally enrolled at least half-time in for-credit courses at Belmont Abbey College. (Half-time is defined as 6 credit hours).

During the summer, students must be registered for the upcoming fall term, OR be an entering student who has accepted an offer of admission for the upcoming term, OR be enrolled in credit coursework at Belmont Abbey College during the summer session.

Q. Why should a student work?

A. Working is not a requirement; it is simply a good way to gain practical work experience and help cover educational or personal expenses. The benefits of employment include:

  • Working in an environment suited to the student's skills, preferences and possible career goals
  • A work schedule arranged by the student and employer around the student's class schedule. The student will not be asked to work during class periods, and employers are flexible in allowing time off for studying for exams.
  • Development of professional experience and contacts. These can be valuable when beginning a career or applying to graduate school.

Q. How many hours each week do students work on campus?

A. On average, students work 8-10 hours per week. Students may work no more than 19 hours per week in order to remain focused on their challenging academic studies. Students may not work during their scheduled class periods or during the College holidays.

Q. Are there any off-campus jobs available?

A. As recipients of a Federal Work Study award, students are eligible to apply to the tutoring program off-campus, organized by the Financial Aid Office. The tutoring program suports educational efforts in the Belmont community by paying Belmont Abbey College students to serve as reading and math tutors to elementary-age children.

Q. What are the important things to know and remember about Crusader Work and Federal Work Study?

  • The FAFSA must be filed each year to re-determine work-study eligibility.
  • Federal Work Study (FWS) is awarded in varying amounts by the Financial Aid office and is determined by the student's financial need.
  • Accepting a Federal Work Study (FWS) Award in your financial aid package does not guarantee that you will obtain employment and does not guarantee that you will be able to earn your full award amount through employment.
  • Students may work up to 19 hours per week and may hold 2 jobs on campus during an academic year.
  • If FWS is awarded, students may not earn more than the amount awarded.

Q. Can an International Student or Non-Citizen apply for jobs?

A. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you have the opportunity to engage in on-campus work or practical training opportunities off-campus. However, you must obtain the appropriate work authorization before starting to work. If you work even one day before or after your authorization, you must leave the U.S. or face deportation. Please see the Office of International Students (OIS), or call them at (704) 461-6789 for more information.

Return to top


  • Frequently asked questions about Work Study

Payroll Student Calendar

  • Information about timesheets, pay days, pay periods…
Copyright 1995-2015 Belmont Abbey College